Debt can be your worst nightmare. However, with the proper knowledge, consideration, and caution, it can also be a valuable tool. Dan explains.
(Click the featured times below to jump forward in the episode)
Puzzle Of The Week:
- [4:36] – Owing money is not a good thing. In fact, owing money costs money. However, debt can also be a tool.
[6:46]– Debt Can Be A Tool.
- If you can pay cash for something, do it. However, don’t completely write debt off as evil. Essentially, every building you’ve ever entered has been financed with debt. You can’t often build a home or start a business without debt. However, the key is to understand debt and negotiate the price reasonably.
- As an example, if you’re going to buy a car on my credit card, you’re going to be charged anywhere from 10 to 25 percent interest. That would be stupid. On the other hand, if you could pay that card off in the very next month, it would be a great tool for leveraging debt. You’d earn all sorts of airline points, hotel points, etc…The key is to leverage your debt to work in your favor.
[7:54] – Utilize Debt Responsibly.
- Some folks out there will tell you they’re totally anti-debt. I don’t fall into that camp. I believe debt can be used responsibly. In fact, I have three credit cards with no annual fees, and I use them all to collect points and pay for airline flights and hotels. This enables my wife and I to travel freely. Given I can pay my cards off every month, I can’t think of a reason not to employ this strategy.
[10:48] – Why Is Debt Discouraged?
- Debt is discouraged because many people aren’t disciplined. They don’t pay their credit card off in time, they won’t limit their debt, and they buy willy nilly. That’s dangerous. The only way debt works to your benefit is through discipline and strategy.
- [17:00] – Billy asks what to look for when evaluating credit cards.
Puzzle Solver Assignment:
- [21:05] – Homework time! We’ve included our download, “Dave Ramsey’s Debt Snowball.” It’s going to help you consolidate your debt in a very short period of time.
The Full Picture:
Click the image to get a free retirement rescue toolkit.
The host: Dan Cuprill – Schedule A Time To Meet – Or Call: (513) 563 – 7526
Your Money Jigsaw Newsletter
Dave Ramsey’s Debt Snowball